The Travel Map - Read the blog below

Thursday 24 September 2009

Journey

The day finally came! We departed Heathrow at 9.35 pm on Monday and I am not entirely sure what day it is now, or indeed, what time. I am in Sydney though.
We got comfy in our seats, complete with blankets, cushions, eye masks, socks and mini movie screens. Once off, we were fed, brilliantly picnic-like trays of tasty food with every type of utensil and condiment you can imagine is produced in small, logoed satchets. As I had vege meals, I rather fantastically got served first every time, leaving Alex and our seating partner (both carnivores) looking longingly at my feast.
There was an open bar, and hundreds of movies and cds and random tv shows to watch, as well as my ridiculously massive pile of magazines.
My task was to stay up for the first 9 hours of the flight at least, in an attempt to set my sleep cycle. Weirdly, I actually managed that feat with no issue! In the last hour, I dozed a bit but then we had breakfast before getting off at Singapore.
We were in the terminal wondering around for an hour whiles the plane refuelled, then we set off for Sydney. By this point, I was bored with the notion. This next stage was to be spent in sleep, ideally. However, despite lying back with my eye mask and cushions and blanket, and soothing music no sleep was forthcoming. Doh. About from semi-awake dozes, I have not slept in over 35 hours. Eurk.
The vege meals are getting more random though – the last one was macaroni cheese, with tomato sauce, red, green and yellow peppers and cold cauliflower and chickpea salad on the side. The others got some weird gelatinous green goo which Alex bravely identified as melon blancmange. Lucky for me, I got chocolate and a fruit plate  The joys of vegetarianism.

No comments: